Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cute Critter Cupcakes

Pin It
Spring is officially here! It's been inexplicably warm lately. Scratch that, sweltering. Both Thursday and Friday emulated the heat of summer. Imagine two straight hours of class at high noon sitting under the beating sun... in jeans! Sweat fest much. Where are the drizzles of rain, the light breezes, the crisp air?
The panda freaks me out a bit... My mom though it was cute though!
On the bright side it is Spring break, which means plenty of time to relax, study a bit, and catch up with old friends. Of course I'm going to bake like a maniac. I'm thinking strawberries and cream scones tomorrow morning. Peaches and cream? We'll just see what flavor I am craving when I wake up.
This is NOT the cupcake recipe below, but the first recipe I tried had an interesting method of crumbling butter into the flour to make a sandy mixture. Unfortunately these cupcakes collapsed:(
I am obsessed with the Draw Something app for the iPod touch/iPhone. It is the new Words with Friends and it has swept the nation it seems. I think what makes it so entertaining is the fact that you can watch the process of the person drawing the word. My sister had to draw the word "pregnant". At first it looked like an alien parasite in someone's belly, and then it looked like a spider hugging a person. That sense of satisfaction when the epiphany strikes you makes the game worth while. It's worth it even if you get stuck staring at the screen, rotating the iPod because you think if you look at it from another angle the amoeba looking doodle will start to resemble something. HAHA. 
These cupcakes took forever. Surprisingly not as long as the cupcakes from my cupcake wars battle earlier this month. I bought gel food coloring and that made the colors very vivid without altering the texture of the buttercream one bit. Using fondant or modeling chocolate probably would have been the easier route to make the facial features, but unfortunately I had neither on hand. I just stood in the kitchen for two hours smoothing out the buttercream. It was well worth it. The little chuckle my dad gives me as he walks by my baking projects is the seal of approval of mission adorable/cute accomplished.
Pretty pink tissue paper flower I made
Try out the recipe below! The little chickadee would be perfect for Easter, the puppy for a birthday party, and well the panda is just random quite honestly. The cupcakes were absolutely delicious. One of the best yellow cake recipes I've made. Use any vanilla buttercream you desire, but I do recommend using one that does NOT crust, unless you are a lightning fast froster/decorator. The ears are simply sliced marshmallow pieces frosted in the buttercream. Enjoy!
Classic Yellow Cake
From The Smitten Kitchen
Yields 12 cupcakes
INGREDIENTS
  • 240 grams cake flour 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 200 grams sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 cup buttermilk
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
  2. On medium speed of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the buttermilk and vanilla. It will look very curdled at this point.
  3. Add in the eggs one at a time. 
  4. Mix in the flour on low speed in three parts. Be careful not to over mix. Spoon into cupcake liners until 3/4 of the way full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. 

2 comments:

  1. Awwww,these cupcakes are so cute! I love how you decorated all of them...it just goes to show how creative you are, but how does the panda one freak you out? It's adorable and it looks real! Here where I live, the autumn holidays aren't here until next week :/ But I'll be baking like crazy as you said so I can post more on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Break time is definitely time to be utilized for updating our blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover